Lighthouse at Pirotan Island
Pirotan Island (also known as Pirothan) is an Arabian Sea island in the Marine National Park, Jamnagar District of Gujarat state, India. It is located 12 nautical miles (22 km) off the coast (Bedi Port), consists of mangroves and low-tide beaches, and has an area of 3 square kilometres. Rozi island is located about 10 kilometres to the southeast.
Of the 42 islands in the park, Pirotan Island is the most popular and is one of the two islands where visitors are normally permitted. Visitation is strictly limited, permission is required from the Forest Department, Customs Department and the Ports. The mangroves consist mainly of species of Rhizophora, Avicennia and Ceriops.
The island was originally known “Pir jo thaan” meaning the place of the holy Saint Khwaja Khizer Rahmatullahialaih. The sacred shrine of Khwaja Khijer Rahmatullahialaih is located on the island.
In 1867 a flagpole was placed at the northern tip of the island to aid in navigation. In 1898 it was replaced with a 21 m. masonry lighthouse, which in turn was replaced in 1955-1957 with a 24 m. high lighthouse tower. In 1996, the lighthouse power was converted from diesel generator to solar power. The diesel generators exist for backup generation.
The island along surrounding coral reefs covering an area of 3 square kilometres was notified as part of Marine National Park in 1982.
The island being protected marine park, several permissions are required for visiting. For Indian Nationals, permission from local Forest Department, Customs Department & Ports Department. Foreign nationals additionally require permission for Police Office.
There are no routine ferry service to island. One has to hire boats from the port. These boats take about 1.5 hours to reach the island. Since the beach is very shallow, the boats can only reach the island during high tide and leave the island during high tide.